Keeping a diary or journal is one of the best (and free!) forms of self-help therapy. Research studies have shown daily journaling can lead to a multitude of benefits such as increased focus, greater stability, release of pent-up emotions, and empowerment. Happiness journaling, one of the many forms of journaling, is a great way to focus on and document the positive aspects of one’s life. Even documenting what we consider mundane, daily experiences can bring us happiness in the future, especially during time of reflection on tough days.
If you feel stuck or even intimidated by the journaling process, remember there is no right or wrong way to journal. Whether you are starting the journey of journaling or have been writing for years, try using some of the happiness related prompts below.
- Define what happiness means to you.
- Write about an act of kindness you witnessed today.
- What actions do you take in order to pursue happiness? What is the outcome of your actions?
- What songs make you happy?
- What is your favorite way to get out of a bad mood?